No tea party — or unbirthday party — is complete without these sandwiches! For safety’s sake, ask kids to use a plastic knife instead of a sharp one to cut the grapes.
Serving Size: 1 full-size sandwich or 4 tea sandwiches429 3g 18g 26g 40g 2 1/2
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 1/2 teaspoons tarragon
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 20 green grapes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds (optional)
- Bread of choice
How To Make It
- To make the salad, cut the chicken into 2-inch cubes and place in a saucepan. (Thoroughly wash your hands and the cutting board afterward.)
- Add water to cover, mix in the onion and 1 teaspoon of the tarragon, and heat over high.
- Once the water boils, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. For best results, check the chicken for doneness: the center should be white with no traces of pink.
- Drain the water from the saucepan and transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Remove the onion, but don’t remove the tarragon.
- Cut the chicken into small pieces and place it in a large bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise and toss well.
- Slice the grapes and add them to the bowl, then stir in salt, pepper, and additional tarragon to taste. Stir in the almonds, if desired. Cover the salad and refrigerate.
- To assemble the tea sandwiches, remove the crusts from 2 slices of bread, add the chicken salad filling, and cut the resulting sandwich into squares or triangles. Makes about 3 cups chicken salad, enough for 8 full-size sandwiches.