Papa bear loves his chili — especially when it has a kick! Cubs can pitch in by measuring the spices and grating the cheese.
Serving Size: 1 cup271 9g 9g 18g 23g 1
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- Vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups beef or chicken stock
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes in puree
- 3 to 4 cups cooked black or red beans
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, and/or chopped parsley, for garnish
- SOUTHWEST SEASONING MIX:
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
How To Make It
- In a small bowl, blend all of the ingredients for the Southwest Seasoning Mix, then set the bowl aside.
- Heat a medium-size casserole or Dutch oven. Add the ground beef and brown over medium heat for several minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a small bowl and set it aside.
- If there’s very little fat left in the pan, add 1 to 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add the onion and green pepper and sauté over moderate heat for 8 to 9 minutes, until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and seasoning mix, stirring constantly for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and the reserved meat, using enough stock to achieve a consistency that is neither too thin nor too thick. Bring the mixture to a simmer gently for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often. Thin the chili with a little more stock if necessary. Serve hot with the garnishes.