If you are having guests, this sweet treat is just the thing to serve. Pint-size chefs can use their hands to work the dough, and then they can zest the lemons.
Serving Size: 1 2-inch square157 1g 7g 2g 22g 1 1/2
- 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 lemons
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
How To Make It
- Heat the oven to 350ºF. For the shortbread crust, use your fingertips to work the butter, flour, and confectioners’ sugar in a large bowl until the mixture holds together. Transfer the dough to an ungreased 9x13-inch pan and press it into the pan. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown.
- While the shortbread is baking, make the lemon filling. Wash and dry the lemons, then grate the rinds using the small holes on your grater (you will need 2 tablespoons of zest). Slice each lemon in half and squeeze the juice into a measuring cup until you have 1/3 cup. Remove any seeds.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Whisk in the flour. Stir in the lemon zest and juice. When the shortbread has baked, pour the filling over it and return the pan to the oven for another 20 to 25 minutes or until the filling no longer jiggles and the edges are lightly brown. (Test by inserting a knife in the middle.) Cool and dust with confectioners’ sugar. Refrigerate any leftovers.