Snack bags filled with colorful fruit transform into creative birthday treats with the help of clothespins and a little imagination. Have your child help out making these, or send materials into school for a quick class art project. You can add the finishing touches (that is, the fruit!) when it’s party time. Serve with cubed cheese for a complete snack.
–Susan Weiner, R.D., C.D.E., 2015 American Association of Diabetes Educators (A.A.D.E.) diabetes educator of the year and registered dietitian in private practice in New York
- 3/4 cup assorted fruit (grapes, blueberries, strawberries) per butterfly
How To Make It
- Decorate clothespins with colored pencils or crayons to resemble a butterfly’s body.
- Place a ¾-cup scoop of fresh fruit into a plastic baggie. Lift the center of the bag to evenly distribute fruit into each side.
- Clamp the clothespin over the empty center of the bag to form the wings of the butterfly.
- Add a twist tie to form butterfly antenna before closing the clothespin.