Put holiday-themed cookie cutters to healthier use! Cutting sandwiches into fun shapes to fit the occasion is an easy way to fill kids up with a balanced snack that’s still part of the fun. Stuff with sweet ingredients such as sliced strawberries and almond butter, or go the savory route and fill with fresh turkey and cheese topped with lettuce and tomato or avocado. Serve with colorful fresh fruit for even more party appeal.
–Susan Weiner, R.D., C.D.E., 2015 American Association of Diabetes Educators (A.A.D.E.) diabetes educator of the year and registered dietitian in private practice in New York
- 2 slices of thin-sliced whole wheat bread
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1/4 cup blueberries
How To Make It
- Sandwich almond butter and strawberries between bread slices.
- Starting as close to one edge of the sandwich as possible, press down with a cookie cutter to create your shapes.
- If needed, take a sharp knife and cut freeform shapes (mini stars are easy) to use up all the bread.
- Plate the finished shapes and add a sprinkle of blueberries.