My husband and I really missed twice-baked potatoes when we decided to cut carbs as a way to keep my blood sugar as stable as possible with my type 1 diabetes. We craved something fluffy and creamy and without a hint of cauliflower taste — and we found it in this delicious side dish! This is wonderful alongside a nice steak or some barbecued chicken, with a side salad or additional vegetable. As we were eating our meal my husband actually declared, “This is the best cauliflower dish on the entire planet!” I really couldn’t agree more. The egg yolks work magic here, making the dish hold together beautifully and giving it a twice-baked potato consistency. Even kids will be able to enjoy it — and maybe not even know they’re eating a nice high-fiber veggie side dish!
- 24 ounces cauliflower florets
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated and divided in half
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
How To Make It
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large microwavable bowl, microwave the cauliflower florets for 6 minutes; stir and microwave another 4 minutes or until tender. Let cool for several minutes.
- In a food processor, process the cooked cauliflower florets and softened cream cheese until creamy and mostly smooth.
- Pour cauliflower mixture into a bowl and add half of the cheddar cheese (reserving the rest for the topping), egg yolks, scallions, sea salt, and pepper. Stir until combined.
- Pour mixture into a shallow baking dish and smooth out the top. Top with the reserved cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon.
- Bake for 20 minutes and enjoy!