Having type 1 diabetes can be challenging, but being a primary caregiver of a child with type 1 diabetes takes its toll, too. If you don’t take proper care of yourself, it’s hard (if not impossible) to take care of the ones you love. Are you overdue for a little rest and relaxation? Take this quiz to find out.
1. When is the last time you took a moment to pamper yourself?
a. This morning before the kids woke up
b. On vacation a few months ago
c. So long ago, I can’t remember!
2. How much do you worry about highs and lows, keeping up with testing, or “doing something wrong” related to your child’s diabetes care?
a. Enough to stick to our routine without slacking off
b. It’s always on my mind
c. So much that I no longer have time or energy for anything else
3. A friend asks you to go out for dinner — no kids allowed. You:
a. Book the sitter, allow yourself to enjoy the evening and recharge your batteries.
b. Go, but end up worrying about your child all night.
c. Decline. You feel too guilty to be away.
4. Since your child was diagnosed with type 1, can you ever allow yourself to truly relax?
5. When it comes to your child’s diabetes care, do you try to do it all?
a. No, it takes a village.
b. At times, but when I feel I’m about to crack, I’ll ask for help.
c. Yes, I don’t trust anyone else to do it.
6. Do you wake up feeling well-rested?
7. Do you have someone to talk to about the day-to-day challenges of diabetes?
a. Yes, my family and friends in the type 1 community are great listeners.
b. My spouse is there to lend support, but others don’t really understand.
c. No, I don’t like to burden other people.
8. Do you take good care of your own health with regular checkups, a healthy diet and exercise?
b. Not as much as I should
c. My health isn’t top priority right now
Go to next page to see your results…
Disclaimer: This quiz and its results are not intended as medical advice. Families should check with their healthcare professionals regarding individual care. Disney and Lilly USA, LLC assume no responsibility for actions taken by individuals as a result of completing this quiz.