If you happen to have kids, and your kids happen to have type 1 diabetes, there’s a decent chance you’ve got cheese sticks in the house (just a guess). Only two more ingredients and you’re on your way to these mouthwatering Cheesy Bacon-Wrapped Pineapple Rings. Baking the pineapple brings out its natural sweetness even more, and combining it with salty, crispy bacon puts it over the top. To some, bacon is considered a guilty pleasure, but in moderation it can be a much more blood-sugar-friendly party-food option than the typical bottomless bowl of chips.
Serving Size: 1 ring
- Calories: 132
- Fiber: 0g
- Total Fat: 9g
- Protein: 7g
- Total Carbohydrate: 6g
- 12 slices of bacon, cut in half
- 8 pineapple rings
- 4 mozzarella cheese sticks, cut lengthwise into 4 equal pieces
How To Make It
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Place a wire cooling rack on top.
- Arrange two pieces of cheese stick onto one pineapple ring, forming a circle. Use toothpicks to hold them in place (temporarily).
- Wrap one half-slice of bacon around the pineapple ring and cheese; continue with two more half-slices until the entire ring is covered. Remove the toothpicks.
- Place the rings on the wire rack and cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until the bacon is crispy. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes, then serve.
Disclaimer: The experiences and suggestions recounted in these articles are not intended as medical advice, and they are not necessarily the "typical" experiences of families with a child who has type 1 diabetes. These situations are unique to the families depicted. Families should check with their healthcare professionals regarding the treatment of type 1 diabetes and the frequency of blood glucose monitoring.