Serving Size: ¼ cup
- Calories: 40
- Fiber: 2g
- Total Fat: 1.25g
- Protein: 1.5g
- Total Carbohydrate: 7g
Dietary Info Facts
- Calories From Fat : 13
- Saturated Fat : 0g
- Trans Fat : 0g
- Cholesterol : 0mg
- Sodium : 240mg
- Sugars: 3.5g
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 28-ounce can diced plum tomatoes, including their juices
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- Sea salt and black pepper
How To Make It
- Heat olive oil in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrots and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes (with juice), red pepper flakes and thyme.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes until sauce has thickened slightly.
- Add half of the basil and carefully blend sauce in blender or food processor in batches.
- Return to saucepan; season with salt and pepper and garnish with remaining basil. Serve immediately or freeze for up to 4 months.
Disclaimer: The experiences and suggestions recounted in these articles are not intended as medical advice, and they are not necessarily the "typical" experiences of families with a child who has type 1 diabetes. These situations are unique to the families depicted. Families should check with their healthcare professionals regarding the treatment of type 1 diabetes and the frequency of blood glucose monitoring.