“Fashioned” after Mickey’s classic red trousers, these colorful, crunchy veggie treats pair up the flavors of sweet bell pepper and fresh mozzarella. Oh, boy!
Serving Size: 2 Mickey Mouse Pepper-and-Cheese Shorts
- Calories: 50
- Fiber: 1g
- Total Fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 3g
- Total Carbohydrate: 3g
- 2 pieces of fresh red bell pepper, each at least 2½ by 3¼ inches
- 4 fresh mozzarella cheese pearls (.5 ounces total)
How To Make It
- Print out this shorts template and place the page atop a piece of wax paper. Holding the printout and wax paper together, cut out the shorts shapes, snipping through both layers of paper at once.
- Place a wax paper cutout atop each of the pieces of bell pepper as a pattern. Use the tip of a paring knife to carefully cut out the shorts shape from the pepper.
- Use a knife (or a ¾-inch oval fondant or pie crust cutter, if you have one) to cut a pair of oval buttonholes in each of the pepper shorts, using the template as reference for placement. Tip: It’s easier to cut out the holes if you start on the inner surface of the pepper (rather than the skin).
- Cut a thin slice from the top of each mozzarella pearl and discard (to create a flat surface). Then simply insert the pearls into the buttonholes flat sides up, and the snacks are ready to serve.
Disclaimer: The experiences and suggestions recounted in these articles are not intended as medical advice, and they are not necessarily the "typical" experiences of families with a child who has type 1 diabetes. These situations are unique to the families depicted. Families should check with their healthcare professionals regarding the treatment of type 1 diabetes and the frequency of blood glucose monitoring.