Why not serve this French toast with a nice pot of tea? While mom or dad handles the skillet, kids can dip the bread in the egg mixture and sprinkle on the maple candy.
Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 213
- Fiber: 3g
- Total Fat: 9g
- Protein: 7g
- Total Carbohydrate: 26g
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 8 slices dense bread
- 3 ounces grated maple sugar candy
How To Make It
- Mix the eggs, milk, and vanilla extract in a shallow bowl or pie plate.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat.
- Soak the slices of bread in the egg mixture, turning once. They should be saturated but not falling apart.
- Brown the bread in the skillet, turning once, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Then sprinkle grated maple sugar candy on the top and turn. Cook for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle the other side with maple sugar and turn once more. Now both sides of the toast should have a crisp, sugary coating.
- Add butter to the pan between each batch. Allow the toast to cool for a minute before serving.
Disclaimer: The experiences and suggestions recounted in these articles are not intended as medical advice, and they are not necessarily the "typical" experiences of families with a child who has type 1 diabetes. These situations are unique to the families depicted. Families should check with their healthcare professionals regarding the treatment of type 1 diabetes and the frequency of blood glucose monitoring.