Making these Halloween favorites low-carb is easy! Just make the pastry, wrap the dogs, bake, and finish with a set of candy eyes. Don’t have candy eyes? Two drops of ketchup or mustard will do.
Serving Size: 1 mummy dog
- Calories: 220
- Fiber: 2g
- Total Fat: 19g
- Protein: 8g
- Total Carbohydrate: 6g
- 1½ cups dairy-free shredded mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free cream cheese
- ¼ cup ghee (or butter)
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 egg
- 12 hot dogs
- 24 candy eyeballs
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a bowl, microwave mozzarella, cream cheese, and ghee for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Stir carefully until well combined.
- Add almond flour, coconut flour, and egg. Mix to form a dough.
- Chill dough in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Section and roll dough into four separate balls.
- Place one dough ball at a time between two baking sheets (as if to sandwich it) and roll flat with a rolling pin to ¼-inch thickness.
- Using a knife, cut dough into long thin strips, about ½-inch wide.
- Wrap dough strips around each hot dog to look like a mummy and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Using a small dot of ketchup or mustard, stick candy eyeballs to mummy dogs. (Or simply make dot eyes with the condiments themselves.)
The experiences and suggestions recounted in these articles are not intended as medical advice, and they are not necessarily the "typical" experiences of families with a child who has type 1 diabetes. These situations are unique to the families depicted. Families should check with their healthcare professionals regarding the treatment of type 1 diabetes and the frequency of blood glucose monitoring.