I’m sharing a recipe that I’ve adapted and enjoyed with my kids for many years. Bonus that it happens to be low-carb! It’s great for letting my kids get a warm chocolate fix without any added sugar.
Serving Size: 1 8-ounce mug
- Calories: 249
- Fiber: 5g
- Total Fat: 25g
- Protein: 4g
- Total Carbohydrate: 9g
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1¼ teaspoons granulated stevia
- 2 tablespoons plus ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup heavy cream
How To Make It
- In a microwave-safe mug, mix together cocoa, stevia, and 2 tablespoons almond milk until the mixture forms a thick paste. (Don’t skip this step or the ingredients won’t blend well.)
- Add the additional ½ cup almond milk and ¼ cup heavy cream and stir well. (For a richer cup of cocoa, you can swap the almond milk and heavy cream to ¼ cup and ½ cup, respectively; nutrition info will differ.)
- Microwave until heated to a child-safe temperature (about 1½ minutes; microwaves will vary).
Disclaimer: The experiences and suggestions recounted in these articles are not intended as medical advice, and they are not necessarily the "typical" experiences of families with a child who has type 1 diabetes. These situations are unique to the families depicted. Families should check with their healthcare professionals regarding the treatment of type 1 diabetes and the frequency of blood glucose monitoring.