Have some chicken and a few leafy greens leftover from last night’s dinner? Then you have two of the main ingredients for this simple-to-make and even easier-to-eat wrap sandwich made with a spread of hummus as a tangy (and healthier) replacement for mayo.
–Susan Weiner, R.D., C.D.E., 2015 American Association of Diabetes Educators (A.A.D.E.) diabetes educator of the year and registered dietitian in private practice in New York.
Serves: 1 wrap
Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 474
- Fiber: 4g
- Total Fat: 14g
- Protein: 42g
- Total Carbohydrate: 42g
- 1/2 cup baked or roasted chicken (or turkey, pulled pork, cooked fish, or other leftover protein)
- Romaine lettuce leaves (or any salad greens)
- 1/4 cup hummus
- Sandwich wrap or pita shell
- Cherry tomatoes (optional)
How To Make It
- Spread hummus on wrap and layer on lettuce and chicken.
- Roll up and cut into quarters. (If using a pita shell, stuff each half with ingredients.)
- For added flavor and variety, serve wrap with a handful of cherry tomatoes.
Disclaimer: The experiences and suggestions recounted in these articles are not intended as medical advice, and they are not necessarily the "typical" experiences of families with a child who has type 1 diabetes. These situations are unique to the families depicted. Families should check with their healthcare professionals regarding the treatment of type 1 diabetes and the frequency of blood glucose monitoring.