Sebastian’s Tip: “Rice and beans together are like music to my ears! Wee crustaceans can join in the symphony by rinsing and draining the canned beans and tomatoes, and measuring the rice and frozen corn.”
Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 207
- Fiber: 3g
- Total Fat: 3g
- Protein: 8g
- Total Carbohydrate: 36g
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced canned chipotle pepper
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallion greens (optional)
How To Make It
- Heat the oil in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, cumin, and chipotle pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the rice and stir to coat with the oil. Add the black beans, tomatoes, and corn. Season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 25 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl, then sprinkle with scallions, if desired.
Disclaimer: The experiences and suggestions recounted in these articles are not intended as medical advice, and they are not necessarily the "typical" experiences of families with a child who has type 1 diabetes. These situations are unique to the families depicted. Families should check with their healthcare professionals regarding the treatment of type 1 diabetes and the frequency of blood glucose monitoring.