Please, please tell me that other parents have these types of days.

This one started EARLY. Our baby, Ben, has been on a kick lately where he gets up at about 4 in the morning and makes a good deal of noise. Naturally it falls to me to intercept the noise and try to get the little guy back to sleep. He really needs sleep, otherwise he’s pretty miserable and can hardly make it to naptime.

So it’s 4:30 a.m. on this particular morning, and Ben is ALMOST asleep again. His body is droopy, and I’m just about to lay him back in his crib when I run into James walking out of his room. I frantically motion to him to be quiet when he mentions that he thinks he’s low.

This noise and commotion are enough to wake the not-really-quite-asleep Ben, and as much as I’d like to devote some time to putting him back to sleep, I cannot afford to ignore the fact that James feels low. And because it’s the early morning hours, I can tell that he needs help. I put the (now screaming) baby on the blanket in the living room and get the kit.

James IS low. Not terribly low, but clearly he needs a juice box. I give it to him and have him lie down on the floor in my room so that after I settle the baby I can recheck him and make sure he’s okay.

The baby is again ALMOST asleep when Craig’s alarm goes off. It wakes the baby, of course, and signals that it’s definitely time to recheck James’ blood sugar. So I put the (again, screaming) baby on the blanket next to James on the floor, say hello to my husband — who truly doesn’t have a minute to spare in the morning if he wants to catch the early train to work — and I retest.

James is in range. But he confesses something to me: “Mom, while I was laying there, this accidentally broke.” He’s holding his pump that is no longer connected to his tubing or his body. Sigh. That needs to be fixed immediately. But James insists on numbing cream, so I put the screaming baby back down on the floor and get it.

Twenty minutes go by. The baby is now up for the day. It’s not even 5:30 in the morning, but James is also up for the day. I replace the infusion set, and James is good to go. Now our mission is to not wake up Luke and to make sure we stay out of Daddy’s way so he can get to the train on time.

Somehow we make it through the morning. Baby is exhausted. James is a champ. Mommy is … brain dead. Which leads to all kinds of silly morning shenanigans. It takes forever for me to pack the lunches, find the sweatshirts and do all the stuff that I’ve been doing for a whole year now and should be second nature.

We manage to get in the car to take James to school in the nick of time. We drop him off, he’s got his pump back on, he’s tired but he’s ready, he’s had breakfast, his lunch is properly packed … phew.

It has been a long morning. Luke, who’s managed to sleep in all the way till 7:30 and has a great attitude, suggests we listen to the radio on the way back.

That is absolutely the right choice. I decide to crank it up, and see in my rearview mirror that I am not the only one rocking out to the tunes. Ben and Luke are dancing and smiling. We made it! And thanks to our fun music, I know that we might all be dragging and tired throughout the day, but we’ll find a way to muddle through until we can get into bed and try again to sleep through the night. Sometimes you’ve just got to rock on …


Disclaimer: The experiences and suggestions recounted in these articles are not intended as medical advice, and they are not necessarily the “typical” experiences of families with a child who has type 1 diabetes. These situations are unique to the families depicted. Families should check with their healthcare professionals regarding the treatment of type 1 diabetes and the frequency of blood glucose monitoring. Jen and Kim are real moms of kids with type 1 diabetes and have been compensated for their contributions to this site.


Related topics:
People in the Know: Nighttime Blood Sugar Checks
One of Those Days
Conquering Sleep Deprivation

Recent posts from Jen & Kim

Read more about Jen & Kim