Yes, this seven-layer dip is as delicious as it looks! I can’t stress enough how helpful it is at parties to serve recipes that make individual portions. Yes, we know kids with type 1 diabetes can eat anything if we cover the carbs with insulin, but it makes it a lot easier to bolus when you have an exact individual portion versus just scooping from a big platter or grabbing a handful of chips. Plus, this ensures no double dipping!
The ingredients that comprise this dip have a nice balance of fiber, protein, fat, and carbs, which makes it kind on the blood sugar. On top of that, if you swap your usual tortillas chips for delicious bacon chips, you have yourself a pretty T1D-friendly option.
In our house, bacon is our friend. For one, it’s low-carb (in small quantities, even zero-carb). But beyond that, it’s got protein, which can help regulate blood sugar and sustain energy levels. Bacon has long been considered to be full of harmful fat, but in reality, a few strips often have a lot less fat than most other cuts of meat. In moderation, it’s certainly a part of our healthy diet!
- 1 16-ounce can refried beans
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1½ cups guacamole
- 1½ cups salsa
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese
- Black olives, green onions, diced tomatoes, and/or jalapenos for topping (optional; not included in nutritional information)
- 2 12-ounce packages thick-cut bacon
How To Make It
- Empty the can of refried beans into a bowl, add the taco seasoning, and mix. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix the cream cheese with the sour cream until well blended. Set aside.
- Set out eight clear plastic cups. Divide the refried beans evenly into each cup. Next, layer each cup with the cream cheese/sour cream mixture, then guacamole, salsa, shredded lettuce, and shredded cheese. Finish with the toppings of your choice as the seventh layer. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut each bacon strip into four equal pieces. Place the pieces onto the prepared baking sheet in one even layer.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until the bacon is crisp.
- Transfer bacon chips to a paper towel-lined plate to soak up the excess grease. Serve eight bacon chips with each of the seven-layer dip cups.