This is a super-simple and delicious recipe, which makes it a great dish for little ones to help with. While Mom or Dad is prepping the turkey, older kiddos can help peel and core the apples and sweet potatoes. If prepared at the same time, the applesauce will take about the same time to cook in the slow cooker as the turkey will take in the oven. It’s a great way for kids to put their handprint on the holiday meal without a huge mess or a bunch of extra ingredients.
- 6 medium apples (such as 2 gala, 2 golden delicious, and 2 honey crisp)
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 1 strip of lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
How To Make It
- Peel, core, and dice the apples.
- Peel and slice the sweet potatoes into ½-inch cubes.
- Place the apples, sweet potatoes, lemon peel, lemon juice, and cinnamon sticks in the slow cooker.
- Set slow cooker to low and cook for 6 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cinnamon sticks and use an immersion blender to blend the apples and sweet potatoes until smooth. Or if you prefer a chunky sauce, serve as is, or lightly mash with a wooden spoon to desired consistency.