Creating snacks with visual appeal is one way to lure reluctant veggie-eaters to take a dip (literally) into healthier foods. This simple snack suggestion pairs veggies with cheese to create fun shapes and yummy flavors that are hard to resist.
–Susan Weiner, R.D., C.D.E., 2015 American Association of Diabetes Educators (A.A.D.E.) diabetes educator of the year and registered dietitian in private practice in New York.
- 2 American or cheddar cheese slices
- Sliced celery and carrots
- 6 whole wheat crackers
- 1/4 cup hummus (for dip)
How To Make It
- Use a cookie cutter to make star shapes out of cheese slices.
- Sandwich leftover cheese pieces between crackers.
- Chop vegetables into larger matchstick style pieces.
- Arrange cheese, veggies, and crackers in a plastic container in an interesting pattern or design. Spoon hummus into a lidded kids’ cup and tuck into lunchbox as a side dip.