Early on after my son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, I learned of a fun and easy lower-carb treat to whip up: whipped cream cones! Essentially whip cream just replaces the ice cream for a dessert that definitely gives you a treat fix, without all of the carbs found in regular ice cream. For Valentine’s Day this year, I’m making them a little “heartier” and healthier by using pink cones and adding all our favorite red fruits — cut into heart shapes, naturally. These are so tasty, we really don’t even miss the ice cream!
- 1 pink cake ice cream cone
- 3 medium strawberries, sliced in half
- 5 raspberries, sliced in half
- 1 small watermelon wedge
- 2 maraschino cherries
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate seeds
- 4 tablespoons extra creamy dairy whipped topping
- 3 toothpicks
How To Make It
- Place strawberries, raspberries, and watermelon on a cutting board. Using a very small heart-shaped cookie cutter (or a knife), cut out heart shapes from each. Thread several heart pieces onto each toothpick.
- Spoon alternating layers of whipped topping and remaining fruit into the ice cream cone (reserving 1 cherry). Once you get to the top of the cone, add a final, thicker layer of fruit. Top with whipped topping and the remaining cherry.
- Place the toothpicks (with the heart-shaped fruit) into the edge of the cone. Serve immediately.