Nothing can make a parent of a child with type 1 diabetes groan like hearing the word “pizza.” It’s a staple kid-friendly food, and let’s face it: Pizza is everywhere, from birthday parties to sporting events to school. You can’t escape pizza. And despite my best efforts and practices, traditional pizza is a food that always seems to negatively affect blood sugar management for my son — often for many hours after consumption.
So would you believe me if I told you I had a recipe for low-carb barbecue chicken pizza muffins that taste amazing, are less likely to send blood sugar soaring, and are super easy to make? I know it probably seems too good to be true, but I wouldn’t lie about something as important as pizza. The barbecue chicken mixture is a nice departure from the usual toppings, expanding those little palates. But if you don’t want to stray too far from traditional flavors, this pizza dough would be a great base for any variety of toppings. Preparing the pizzas in muffin tins makes them simple to carb-count, and the bite-size shape is just fun for kids.
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1½ cups + ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- Garlic powder, to taste
- ½ cup cooked, chopped chicken
- 2½ tablespoons barbecue sauce
- ¼ small red onion, thinly sliced
- Fresh cilantro, to garnish (optional)
How To Make It
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease 8 cups of a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Place cream cheese and 1½ cups mozzarella cheese in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Heat for 1 minute, stir, then heat for an additional 30 seconds.
- Add almond flour, egg, and garlic powder to cheese mixture. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- Divide dough evenly between the 8 muffin cups, pressing into the bottom and up the sides of the cup. Make sure to leave an indentation in the middle of each cup to allow room for the filling. Using a fork, poke a few holes in the bottom of the dough in each cup.
- Bake dough for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together cooked chicken and barbecue sauce. Divide chicken mixture evenly between the 8 muffin cups (approximately 1 tablespoon per cup).
- Top each cup with approximately 1 tablespoon of mozzarella cheese and sliced red onions.
- Bake for an additional 8 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes, then remove pizza muffins from tin. Top with cilantro if desired.