When it’s time to send in a classroom treat to celebrate the bounty of Thanksgiving, get kids in the spirit with these sweet and fun fruit kabobs shaped like a turkey. Pair with cheese cubes for a tasty and balanced party snack.
–Susan Weiner, R.D., C.D.E., 2015 American Association of Diabetes Educators (A.A.D.E.) diabetes educator of the year and registered dietitian in private practice in New York
- Plastic drinking straws or chopsticks
- Assorted chopped fruit (strawberries, melon, pineapple, grapes)
- 1 pear
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 blueberries
- 1 large strawberry, plus 2 small strawberries
- 2 toothpicks
- Cheese cubes
How To Make It
- Form the turkey’s head by cutting the pear in half lengthwise and placing one half in the center of the plate with the widest end facing up. (Enjoy the other pear half yourself!)
- Attach blueberry “eyes” with toothpicks.
- Slice the large strawberries into five triangular wedges. Attach wedges to create the turkey’s beak, waddle, and crown, using toothpicks to anchor.
- Fill a dish with cheese cubes for the turkey’s body.
- Add celery “legs” and small strawberry “feet.”
- Make kabobs by skewering fruit chunks on drinking straws or chopsticks (each straw holds about a 1/2-cup serving of fruit). Arrange kabobs as “feathers” around the turkey.